- Post at five minutes to and five minutes after the hour. This is when people are checking their phones for emails and updates on their way to and from meetings, the office, lunch or home.
- If you are having trouble tagging a person or business in a Facebook post use the @ symbol and a capital letter at the beginning of the name.
- Use hashtags to increase the profile of your social media activity; especially when you’re mentioning trending topics.
- Add videos, photos and links to your posts to increase their visibility.
- Post regularly, but make sure you’re posting material that is relevant to your target audience.
- If you’re pursuing an aggressive campaign post four-to-five times a day on Facebook.
- If you want all of your followers to read your tweet make sure you place a character ahead of a @username otherwise the post will go to the @username only.
- Make sure you regularly update your profile on Linkedin and make new connections.
- Support your fellow followers on Twitter by participating in #FollowFriday/#FF. This will also encourage others to include you in #FFs and attract new followers.
- Engage with Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram users; social media is about two-way interaction.
- If you receive a complaint on social media deal with it promptly by acknowledging and, if necessary, taking the conversation offline in order to resolve the matter.
Gemma Long, Director at GemPR & Media.